Thinking of Buying a Home?
Buying a home is one of the most rewarding experiences, but it's also one of the most challenging. If you're a first-time buyer, the process may seem overwhelming. So, get all the advice you can from an expert.
Do Your Homework
- Learn about the market before you shop for a home. Before you can purchase a home you need to feel comfortable about where you are buying and the price range you are dealing with. The best way to learn about the market is to enlist the assistance of a licensed Sarasota Realtor ® like myself.
- Knowing how much to offer is one of the most difficult parts of buying a home. Ask your Buyers Agent for a list of recently sold properties of comparable size, location and amenities. Comparing the prices of similar homes will tell you whether this property is realistically priced.
- If the property has been on the market for a while, the owner may accept a below-market offer. But, if the property is very desirable, the seller may just reject your offer wasting everyone's time. As your Buyers Agent, I can advise you on the right price to offer.
- Get real estate advice from a Licensed Professional Buyers Agent. Don't count on Cousin Bob who was a Realtor 20 years ago. And don't rely on the "Seller's Listing Agent." He or she won't necessarily tell you all you need to know, either. But, as your Buyer's Agent, I'm required to tell you everything I know that could affect the home's value.
- Sarasota is a very much "in demand" area. Property prices here, while depressed from a while ago, have begun going back up again. Properties you see now probably will not be available at these price levels for much longer. If you want a home in the Sarasota area, buy NOW before prices go back up.
- Realize what a difference your "Down Payment" can make. If your down payment is at least 20% of the purchase price, you will avoid paying for "Mortgage Insurance." And, some mortgage providers give a lower interest rate if you make more than a minimum down payment.
- Get "pre-approved" for a mortgage. The mortgage approval process will not only let you know how much home you can afford. It will also improve your chances of getting the home you want at "your price." Sellers are more likely to accept an offer a bit lower than they hoped for if they know you're "already approved."
- Don't make big purchases or move money around before applying for a mortgage. Approval for a mortgage depends, in part, on the ratio of your income to current debt. Buying a car or stereo system could put your debt ratio over the limit.
- For Resale Properties, get a "Professional Inspection" before closing. to uncover any major faults in the home. An experienced home inspector can help you avoid buyers remorse by finding and reporting on home defects and problems, or even potential problems, before you find them after closing. Then, the Seller, not you, will pay to correct those problems.
- For New Construction, decide what you want and stick with it. Builders' sales reps may try to sell you upgrades which add little, if any, value to the home when you re-sell it. I can advise you on which add value and which don't.
I can help you buy any home in the Sarasota Florida real estate market at the right price; new or existing homes, homes you see advertised by driving by "For Sale" signs or at an "Open House." As your Buyers Agent, my only objective will be to help you find the right property at the right price.
I serve buyers throughout the Sarasota real estate market including all of Sarasota and Manatee County. I am pleased to show both resale and new construction real estate properties throughout the Sarasota area including Sarasota luxury homes on Siesta Key, Lido Key, Bird Key and Longboat Key.