Siesta Key Sand Sculpting Festival
Posted by Judie Berger on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 2:43 PM By Judie Berger / November 15, 2017 Comment
|Karen Fralich, a Canadian citizen and Dan Belcher, a U.S. citizen took home the top prize of $3,000 for their masterpiece "Winter is Coming." Photo courtesy of Siesta Key Crystal Classic International Sand Sculpting Festival.|
- Master sand sculptors from around the globe descended on the white sandy beaches of Siesta Key this past weekend for the eighth annual Siesta Key Crystal Classic International Sand Sculpting Festival.
- Karen Fralich, a Canadian citizen and Dan Belcher, a U.S. citizen took home the top prize of $3,000 for their masterpiece “Winter is Coming.”
- Helena Bangart of the Netherlands and Fergus Mulvany of Ireland came in second place ($2,500) for “Water Dream.”
- And Steve Topazio and Ron MacDonald, both of the United States came in third place ($1,000) for “Reclamation.”
- The Sculptors’ Choice award went to Damon Langlois of Canada and Joris Kivits of The Netherlands for “Catalytic Thinking.”
- The $1,000 People’s Choice award went to John Gowdy and Jooheng Tan for "Moonrise Over the Pond”
- This year, the competition drew 12 teams from nations around the world, including South Korea, Canada, Italy, the Czech Republic, Singapore, Ireland, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Portugal, and U.S. states including California, Florida, Missouri, New York, Rhode Island and Texas.