Siesta Key Points of Interest: Siesta Beach
There's a reason why Siesta Beach continues to rank highly on the “Top Beach” lists curated by worldwide travelers and renowned coastal experts. Its powdery white sand is like walking on a cloud that never gets hot under the Gulf Coast sun and tropical weather.
Unlike beaches elsewhere that are made up mostly of pulverized coral, Siesta Beach's sand is 99% quartz, most of which comes from the Appalachian Mountains. Over time the feldspar and mica have been removed from the rock, leaving almost pure quartz. Even on the hottest days, the sand is so reflective that it feels cool underfoot. According to Harvard University geologists, it's estimated that the sand on Siesta Beach is millions of years old, having its origin in the Appalachians and flowing down the rivers from the mountains until it eventually was deposited on the shores of Siesta Key.
The public beach is located at 948 Beach Road and offers playgrounds for kids, a renovated Sarasota School of Architecture pavilion and plenty of parking.
Here is a list of recent awards bestowed upon Siesta Beach:
- 2020 #1 Beach in America by TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice™ awards
- 2020 #11 Beach in the world by TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice™ awards
- 2017 # 1 Beach in America by Dr. Beach
- 2017 #1 Beach in America by TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice™ awards
- 2015 #1 Beach in America by TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice™ awards
- 2011 #1 Beach in America by Dr. Beach
If you’d like more information about Siesta Key and the Sarasota area or want to receive regular email updates, please contact me to be added to our private client list. If you're thinking of buying or selling, call today for a confidential consultation.